How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16937
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband and I are separated but still under the same

This answer was rated:

My husband and I are separated but still under the same roof. I left at the start of lockdown to keep my family safe as i was still working in a supermarket. I am now back home after a health scare. My husband has been demanding £600 per month as a 50% share of all the household Bill's. I only work 26 hrs per week. What are my rights?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No it only happened at start of lockdown. I didnt even think k to seek advice through online chat.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Fife Scotland
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I sing think so but not sure.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. What are your husband’s financial circumstances?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He earns around £30,000 per year roughly. He is still working but from home during Covid.

And you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get £9.18 per hour working 26.5 hours per week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to talk.

Thanks will reply shortly.

You earn less than half what your husband earns. He is due to maintain you. See online section 1 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985. So if he insists you pay half of the bills tell him you will apply to the court for aliment on the basis he earns a lot more than you. That will probably stop his demands. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

JGM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you