JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

If a building firm does not turn up and I have paid a

Customer Question

If a building firm does not turn up and I have paid a deposit and I know longer want them to do the works can they ivoke a 14 day cooling off period
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex/ herts
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: none they were supposed to turn up today but didn’t
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the only thing they have done is to send me an email saying they can start works on the 15 june
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

The 14 day cooling-off period only applies to distance sales, so online purchases, or by telephone. If you paid them to do a job on a specific date and they breach the agreement, you can demand your deposit back - if they refuse then you can sue them via the money claim site, which is here: http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Before you sue them you should demand the payment with a letter before action, see attached - to give them the chance to avoid court action.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry he has said he will give a full refund but only after 14 days can he do that if he has not started the work as promised
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Yes, unless the contractual terms say the refund is within 14 days. I would recommend you agree because if you send him a letter before action, the courts say you must give them 30 days to pay before you can sue them

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Can I clarify anything else for you?