Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We have one employee and wish to make him redundant as we

we have one employee and wish to make him redundant as we will do all our own maintema
JA: Have you discussed the termination with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No we have not. We intend to do our own maintenance from now on. Our employee is 71 years old. we do not employ anyone else.
JA: Is the relevant person an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Does the person belong to a union?
Customer: he is an employee. He does not belong to a union.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I don't believe so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we intend to do our own maintenance and make our only employee redundant. he is 71 years old. We will not employ anyone else. he is not a member of a trade union.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my main query is that I believe we should meet him and consult for a 30 day period. We should allow him to bring a fellow employee or trade union rep to the meeting. There are no other employees and he isn't in a Union. We just want to let him know that we need to make him redundant and give him 12 weeks' notice and then his statutory redundancy pay which will be 1 & a half times his weekly wage x 18 as he will have worked for us for just over 17 years when his notice period is over. We are unsure what point there is in consulting as we will definitely be making him redundant.

Thank you. Regardless of the outcome and whether it is obvious or not, you still need to go through a consultation period with the employee to endure the redundancy procedure is fair. And just to point out, you do not need to consult for 30 days – that is only for redundancies of 20+ employees. Yours can be wrapped up within a week or less, where you hold one or two meaningful consultation meetings with him to discuss the reasons for redundancy, offer hi the chance to propose ways to avoid it, discuss any suitable alternative positions that may exist and eventually, confirm the redundancy.

Does this answer your query?