ExpertUKLawyer
ExpertUKLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Master of Laws
108942113

I need to speak to a solcitor regarding a lease for a retail

I need to speak to a solcitor regarding a lease for a retail shop
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Reading Berkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is complicated so best to speak to a commercial solicitor

Hello. I’m George and I’m your solicitor. I have a Master's in Law and six years’ experience. Please allow me some time to review the information.

Please could you describe the issue you need advice on? Thank you.

To save you time and expense (if I accept your request for a phone call now, you will have to pay for the original question and the premium service of a phone call, even if it turns out that I cannot assist you), it would be helpful if you could just briefly set out here what the matter is about (e.g. wish to terminate the lease/ need advice on covenants in the lease etc - no need to provide anything private such as address or names). If I feel I can help you then we can chat over the phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK The information I need is on a shop lease which we have had first from 2005 and then renewed in 2017 and already had an issue with the landlord over the past 18 months as they sold the office above our shop (and other shops owned by the same landlord). As a business we had major disruptions due to the works and complained to our landlord but nothing happened; then at the end of the works they present us with a bill for service charges of £25K (other tenants also got service charge invoice) no one has paid to date as we were all disputing this excessive charge. Then the COVID 19 hit us and had to stop trading and we did not pay the rent as it was always paid in advance anyway; since then we are all being chased for the rent and service charge although we have requested that they waive the service charge (or make it more reseasonable) and give us all a rent free period to help. None of this is acceptable to our landlord.My main problem is with the new regulations our shop is very small and will not be able to trade as before as we are a barber shop and will not even be able to start working until July.With all these overheads and not been able to trade for such a long time and the new social distancing it will no longer be a business we can carry on with.My question is: I want to hand over the shop back to the landlord; so what would happen? Our lease does have a break up clause but that is not until March 2022. I do not have the money to pay the Service Charge of £25K and two rents of £9K which brings as up to nearly £40K. What happens if I had back the shop to the landlord?
The lease has has my husband and I as gaurantor's on the lease, but the home it was covered by was sold in 2014 and we are retired and live overseas; so have no property in the UK.My son has been running the business; but he is not on the lease.If the landlord wanted to get us to pay the rent and service charge what can he do to get the money?Also we have sold our company by in February 2020 so another party; so when I had over the keys I will make the landlord aware that we are no longer the owners of the business and let him have the details of the new owners of the limited private company.Can you help in answering my question as I just want to hand back the shop and walk away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just sent to you my question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you got my question which I typed above

Thank you for your time on the phone. I have asked JustAnswer if it is possible for you to upload a copy of your lease on here and if so, how. I'll be in touch when I hear back, which may be early next week.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I have to upload a copy of my lease for the solicitor, can I do it here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will wait for to be contacted

I've been informed by JustAnswer that you can upload a copy of your lease in this messages area. Hopefully you can see a paperclip icon - click on it to upload a copy of the lease. I can then review it. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot upload lease here please send me an email

I’m sorry to hear you are having difficulties uploading the lease in this message area. I will contact justanswer for you requesting a solution. It is against justanswer policy for me to email you directly.

I’ve just been informed by justanswer that I am allowed to provide you with an email address if I offer a premium service. I’ll put this offer together and provide you with my email address once accepted. I’ll be in touch shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello GeorgeAs I have had difficulties and have been unable to upload the lease. I emailed the landlord directly as you suggested in our phone call and they have responded saying that the lease has another 7 years to run and we are reasonable for the lease as guarantors. I had asked them for a solution as I cannot pay the rent or the service charge and if they had any suggestions for a way forward. They did not suggest any repayment plan or waiving of rent etc. So they are sticking to the guns as to the lease. They are not being helpful what so ever to any of the tenants and as far as their response to my email suggest they are not going to change their minds.I know the Government are going to make an announcement this week about landlord and tentants; so please let me know what you think once the announcement has been made and then we can have a chat about it.I await your reply?

Thank you for the update. It is frustrating that the landlord is not willing to negotiate. In light of the landlord’s stance, I believe it is even more important for me to take a look at the lease to see if there are any contractual options that we could use to encourage the landlord to engage in negotiations. I’ve been in contact with justanswer who have explained that as you have already requested one premium service, I am unable to initiate an additional premium service from my end which would then enable me to provide you with my email address. Justanswer has suggested that you post a new question on justanswer but make it clear in the question that it is for me (expertUKlawyer) to answer (eg I needCustomerto review my lease). I can then accept it and provide you with my email address so you can send the lease to me for review. Thanks.