Andrew
Andrew, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
107536658

I am a joint trustee for my grandsons money left by his late

I am a joint trustee for my grandsons money left by his late father. Who can access the money before his 18th Birthday?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The insurance money has been paid the the solicitor and they said I have to open an account for the money to be paid into. They said that it will be in trust with me and the child’s mother that i am afraid will spend the money and nothing will be left
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don’t think so. Thankyou

Hi, you will need to go into a local Bank or Building Society and open what is called a "trust account". As you will be named as one of the Trustees on the account, then the child's mother will not be able to touch this account without your signature. (You can ask the bank or Building Society that both of your signatures will be required for any withdrawals).

I hope this assists and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave feedback by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen, before you leave the site this evening. I am then happy to answer any follow up question. Many thanks

Andrew