james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My sister has gone to a law firm in order to sort out

My sister has gone to a law firm in order to sort out probate of my late father's estate but
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: This is in London, but I was not told of this until it was done and now I have been given a law bill for services done.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Im confused
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Why ask what documents I have
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just wanted to confirm if this is legally binding that I pay for services requested by a sibling who is the executor

Hello I will assist you today.

your sister was the executor, but not you is that correct.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am a beneficiary and she is one of two executors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel phone calls

Hello call cancelled my end, shall we continue here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please, can we continue here.

Hi, no problem. Hope you are staying well.

As a beneficiary of the estate you do not pay anything. You get from the estate not give to it.

The executors pay all expenses for the estate from estate money. Once all bills, debts and costs have been settled, the the beneficiaries like you get paid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The estate has shares in three companies and a house, both of these are not being sold

Executors donot have to sell everything if beneficiaries what to keep property or transfer shares etc. But if there is no money, then transfer fees etc cannot be paid. So then either some assets would need to be sold to cover debts, or funds would need to be paid by others so they can release the assets.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i suppose if I refuse to pay for initial solicitors probate cost then anything from the estate can be sold to cover the cost of solicitors role in sorting out the probate.

Solicitors take their fee after completing probate. The estate is their client not your siste.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, hopefully this will be the last question, my sister has gone to arrange probate with a law firm, does the firm represent my sister who is one of the executors or all of the beneficiaries (unknowingly).

The law firm represents the dead persons estate, not the executor or the beneficiary.

The executors instruct solicitors, then the solicitors deal with the estate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The law firm is new. We got the will together from one firm and then she went to a new firm to get the probate arranged.

That’s fine and normal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im obliged to pay the bill at this new firm regardless of knowing

No, beneficiaries donot have to pay anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im being asked to pay 25% of 3200 why so much

You need to ask the solicitors why, as you are a beneficiary. Do not pay anything to anyone until you speak to the solicitors yourself.

If there were funeral costs, as a daughter you can pay towards that if you wish, but you do not have to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your assistance tonight and stay safe during this period.
Frank Obaseki
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but still showing that phone call request is confirmed. Has it been cancelled. Thanks

I have put it to customer service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****