How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8884
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I have a court hearing on monday regarding a child

This answer was rated:

Hi, i have a court hearing on monday regarding a child arrangements order. i have no legal representation and have no clue on what to expect from this hearing
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have already got a non molestation order in place against my ex i want him to see the kids but only once i have a prohibted steps order in place to ensure the kids come back to me and he wont keep them
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: bristol
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am currently waiting on legal aid but until then i cant apply for prohibited steps order

Hi thank you for your message, well such hearings are generally kept as informal as possible so the judge will not be robed or wearing a wig and neither with your ex's lawyer if he has one. There will be the judge, you, your ex and his lawyer. The hearing is designed to find out who the child should live with and any arrangements for contact with the non-resident parent. The overall consideration of the court is what is in the best interest of the child. They will be interested to hear from you and will ask you about the child and the current arrangements for example if the children are currently with you why they should stay in your care. Things like nursery and school and how those arrangements can be kept the same with the children in your care. Also, any concerns you have about contact so for example if your ex has abused you or could be a danger to the children limited supervised contact would be better than unsupervised contact. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I am representing myself is there a right way to refer to the judge?

It depends on the judge you get and their ranking as it were that said Sir should be fine.

Or madam in the case of a female judge