Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I just wanted to ask a question about boundaries and fences.

I just wanted to ask a question about boundaries and fences. I purchased my house in 2013 and I understand I am responsible for the fence panels on the right hand side of my house. Since I’ve moved in I have replaced 6 panels out of 8 so far and am having to replace another 2. My problem is, is that these fence panels are not actually on my land!!!! They are out of the boundary on my deeds! My neighbour’s Mum and Dad used to live in the house I now live in, and it looks as though back in the day when there was chicken wire and concrete posts in place, instead of digging out the concrete posts, they maybe agreed for them to put the fence up on their side of the garden for ease and convenience. My question is am I responsible for replacing these fence panels as they are not really on my land!
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I haven’t taken any steps at all. Just needed some advice
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all.

Hi thank you for your message, you have to maintain the boundary line with a fence or hedge therefore, you do need to maintain the fence panels yes. Keep in mind that the land registry title plan is not the exact boundary but an approximation within 1 foot. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help.

Glad I could help, take care.