How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19542
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My girlfriends house caught fire 2 days ago due to an

This answer was rated:

My girlfriends house caught fire 2 days ago due to an electrical fault (official fire report), she lost absolutely everything she owns in the fire, luckily no one was hurt as we were in the garden at the time. No fire alarms went off. When returning to the house today we couldn't find a single smoke detector in the whole property. Can we sue and if so what is the likely outcome?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cardiff, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing legally, Just gathering relevant information and evidence
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This particular incident happened at a time when we would have normally been sleeping (we got lucky) had we been in bed at the time we'd have almost certainly perished, is there anything in terms of psychological damage we can sue for?

Yes, but I dont think you can claim more than £50,000 or so

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. it's greatly appreciated

All the best. If I could invite you to rate me 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you