UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Commercial lease which is protected under 1954 Act (i.e.

Hi. Commercial lease which is protected under 1954 Act (i.e. renewable at end of tenancy term), please could you let me know if when the lease ends the new lease granted will also be protected? (i.e. does the new lease get again protected under 1954 Act so the new lease is also renewable)
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My renewable lease is due to expire in 2years and so I wish to be prepared when requesting for new lease on similar terms, but most importantly, knowing that I can get a new lease that is protected under the 1954Act (renewable again)

Yes, the new lease would be subject to protection from the 1954 Act as well, unless otherwise ordered by a court. So, if the landlord wishes to oppose this, he would need to apply to the court for an order excluding the new lease from the protection of the 1954 Act.

This article may be helpful: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=59d4aac2-80b3-4e26-a618-81213185aa95

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the landlord oppose or not give protected lease without going to court? Or he must go to court? And my right is that he must give me a renewable lease if I request this?

Yes, the landlord may oppose a new lease by serving a S. 25 notice on you and yes, if the landlord does not oppose, you simply continue paying the current rent and remain in occupation: https://www.boltburdon.co.uk/yourbusiness/property-disputes/lease-renewal-faq/#:~:text=The%20Landlord%20and%20Tenant%20Act%201954%20allows%20the%20Tenant%20in,be%20agreed%20with%20the%20Landlord.

All the best.

Please click on 5 stars