Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Neighbours behind us intend to take the boundary fence down

Neighbours behind us intend to take the boundary fence down without telling us exactly when and we have 4 dogs so we're concerned for their safety and the damage / accidents they could cause so our liability for these. Do we have a right to be told when the fence will be taken down? For information, each party owns their property.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, we only found out late yesterday afternoon. They have informed our next door neighbour and their boundary is much wider than ours, ours is only about a couple of feet with the neighbours at the rear but it is wide enough for our 4 dogs to exit onto their property and out into the street so we are concerned.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: It is in Lovedean, Hampshire.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, we just want to know our rights as we thought they would be obliged to information ALL property owners on the boundary, however narrow the boundary is with that property, but they are ignoring our request via our neighbour to be told when the fence will be taken down.

Hi thank you for your message, well they should inform you given the issue you have regarding dogs however, it might be difficult to force them to do so. That being the case you may wish to put in some kind of temporary fencing at least covering the few feet in question so that should it be removed without warning your dogs will not escape. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. We had considered a temporary fence obviously but we are in our 70s and forced to shield at the moment so it is difficult to procure anything and expensive. I did not put a figure next to the £ sign when rating your response as I didn't expect to pay any more than the £5 for joining the site. Please confirm that I will not be charged anything for your advice as it is not a solution. thanks and regards ***** *****

Hi thank you for your message, I understand well that does seem the most sensible option. In terms of payments I get paid by Just Answer and am not involved in your payments to the company so if you have any queries about this you should contact customer service.