How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Madhu Pal Your Own Question
Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 605
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
Madhu Pal is online now

I am at the end stages of purchasing a property. The current

This answer was rated:

Hi,I am at the end stages of purchasing a property. The current owner is mentally impaired and cannot complete a ID1 form for land registry purposes.She is in a care home currently. Her cousin has full power of artery and is represented by their solicitors to sell the house.My solicitor is insisting for a doctors letter stating that the owner is mentally impaired and cannot sign a ID1 form to enable them to register the property with land registry.However the doctors have stated they do not condone in these requests and are bound by their medical defence union. The care home has provided many medical notes including a capacity assessment of the current owner to my solicitor but they are still insisting on a doctors letter.My question is: Is there any other documents that can be provided to land registry to register a property when the current owner is mentally impaired and in a care home?Thank you,Tom
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We are ready to exchange, it is just the matter above regarding the registering of the property that is the issue.
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: dartford
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Good afternoon, this is a matter that is entirely up to your solicitor. Some solicitors will be fine with just accepting the ID for the power of attorney. However if your solicitor has stricter requirements, it is up to their firm to take a view on these particular circumstances. A lot of firms accept ID certified by nursing home managers etc. So it is not a case of what other documents can be provided, it is a case of what your solicitor is willing to accept. It is a very subjective approach so you will need to ask them specifically what else the will provide. Hope this helps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Madhu,Thank you for the information, yes it was very helpful. I will use this information when I talk to my solicitor on Monday.Kind regards,Tom

No problem, if you could accept my response or leave me a rating then Just Answer will credit me for assisting you. Many thanks.

Madhu Pal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you