Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

I was viciously attacked in march last year, had my face

I was viciously attacked in march last year , had my face bitten twice and also bit my hand , as she was biting my face she told me she was a cannibal , she was in Durham crown court yesterday and was given a fourteen month suspended sentence , I'm undergoing trauma counselling for ptsd , can li appeal this decision ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Durham , the perpetrator has a criminal history , the decision doesn't seem right the time of the incident she also broke another mans arm
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The cps upped it from a section 47 to a section 20 , I've also spent ten thousand pounds on reconstt
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry. I've spent almost £10k on reconstructive surgery and want to know how I appeal if I can at all with someone being given a suspended sentence for such a serious charge

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

No, you can't appeal the sentence, only the state can do so. It is not your prosecution it is the state's prosecution. If you think the sentence was unduly lenient then you can complain to the CPS and they will review whether the matter needs to be looked at.

In terms of the costs of surgery etc you may be able to make a civil claim for this. You may also be entitled to compensation on top of the surgery costs.

You should get in touch with a personal injury solicitor and they can look into this for you. Often they will agree to work on a conditional fee arrangement which people commonly refer to a "no win no fee". You can find one here: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.