Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

Can a solicitor request information without providing proof

Can a solicitor request information without providing proof of authority from their apparent client.
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: They have made a request from us to provide information which contains personal information about their apparent client but not provided any proof of authority
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this stage

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

Yes that is quite normal. If someone has instructed a solicitor, they can write to you on their client's behalf. They don't have to prove they are instructed by their client. A solicitor will not lie, they would have too much to lose.

You can check that the solicitor is a legitimate one by checking they appear on this database: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk.

Whether you provide the information to the solicitors is your decision. Often solicitors want information so they can try to resolve an issue without having to go to court. If you are concerned about why they want the information call/ write to them requesting further clarification.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.