Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

Please can you tell me i had a control issued against me

Please can you tell me i had a control issued against me through the letterbox yesterday. Can they enter during this pandemic.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Barry south wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Emailed payplan as was paying all my debts to them since about 2007. I stopped sending financial forms two years ago so my case was stopped.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this going to cost me

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

Was it a writ of control that you received? From the High Court?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No a warrent of control
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have funds to do a phone call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they do this during this pandemic

Ok so in that case they are County Court Bailiffs and they do not generally have the power to force entry.

You can arrange a payment plan with them and they won't usually try to recover goods if you manage to come to an agreement.

Do not ignore them though as this will not go away.

You can find more about the County Court Bailiff's powers here: https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-bailiffs

Their powers are not altered by COVID and you still need to come to an arrangement with them for payment. You can speak to them out the window and still keep your 2m distance etc.

If you are struggling with debt generally, try a charity like Stepchange, they may be able to help:https://www.stepchange.org/?channel=ppc&&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=270049&WT.seg_1=stepchange&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxq2Cgv7s6QIVD-3tCh38ZgiXEAAYASAAEgL7IPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.

Just a slight clarification on this. The government have put a hold on the Bailiffs visiting your home in the current lockdown pursuant to The Taking Control of Goods and Certification of Enforcement Agents (Amendment) (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020.

The Bailiffs will still chase payment of the debt but will postpone any physical visits until after lockdown so that should let you rest a little easier.

The emergency regulations are here is you need to reference them: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/451/made