How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3200
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My dad is now 85 and we are 4 siblings all with interests in

This answer was rated:

My dad is now 85 and we are 4 siblings all with interests in the family farm where dad still lives. If he all leaves it to one sibling can the others put in a claim against this? He has always said 'life is not fair' when we grew up and he treated us differently. I don't want to fight but wonder about future use of the farm. We have businesses various there. He won't talk about what his plans are or his will. Everyone feels in limbo and scared to invest in more equipment etc. How is the law with what he chooses to do?

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. There was no answer to the question.

My apologies I lost the feed for this question but have it now thank you.

will just write up my response now, I would be obliged if you could rate my response once I have written it up for you.

So I have looked at your question and the answer is yes, you could potential bring a claim if you have reasons you feel are valid eg. you have put investments into the farm on the basis you would inherit it. However, you father does have the legal right to leave his estate to whomever he wishes. But this can be challenged. Obviously if this is the case and you wish to challenge it then you can but I would suggest seeking legal help in this as you will want to build a strong legal case, but the answer to your question is yes, you can legally challenge this, but you have to be aware that it doesn't mean you would necessarily win, that would be up to the judge.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks


RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you