How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 80438
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I'm thinking about taking legal action against someone so I

This answer was rated:

hi I'm thinking about taking legal action against someone so I had a political debate with someone on facebook
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: au
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: still seeking legal advice
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well this guy contact my workplace and wrote a letter with all words that out of context called me a racist, which caused an investigation by my employer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has severely affected my life outside of the cyber and I need him to pay for what he has done to me

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Do you mean for defamation.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no problem.

Do you know if he has any money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I dont know

Ok, do you think he works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so, as i know he might be working for some media in UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is no matter he's got money or not, I want him to pay for what he has done

Yes, I understand.

The difficulty is that you have to think whether he is worth suing.

If you give me 20 mins I will dicate an answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, so I'd like two things: first I need him to know that He cannot keep sending emails to my employer just because some political debate on facebook
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
secondly, I need him to pay for what he did if you think it worth suing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I notify the police will work (to stop him harassing my life)

Thank you.

I'm afraid that this is what woke people are like. But they don't believe in freedom of speech. Interesting Lee they are incredibly liberal until somebody actually disagrees with them and then they just turned into modern day Nazis.

I actually fully understand your wish to make him pay. I do think it would be very helpful if these people understood that they can't just take any action they like because people disagree with them.

this is very definitely a defamation. Calling somebody a racist is a defamatory comment.

The only thing to consider though is that defamation is a very expensive action to bring and if he has no money it is not worth that.

A better option is harassment full stop that is harassment. That is much cheaper and there have been more than one instances of direct or indirect contact.

You could also report this to the police becausr at least some of it is a malicious communication and harassment is a criminal offence.

He should face the consequences of these actions.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice, but there's a problem at the moment, since I have only got his facebook, which he also has blocked me up, and email address, will the police take this case?

I think if he is emailing your employer then they should.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should contact AU police or Uk police?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since he lives in uk and im in au

Right, that does change things.

Contact the UK police about him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will the police track him down through his email or social media address?

That might make things harder to sue unless you have a UK address.

The police can find him using his Facebook account fast enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How late can I so this? will there be a timeframe that allows me to report him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For harassment six months from the offence.

No problem.

All the best. At least contact the police. This is unacceptable.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Customer: replied 1 year ago.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh by the way, since I have only got the email that he sent to my employer, do I have to obtain more evidence? like the debate between me and him on facebook?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the problem is all debate was in Chinese, will the police accept it

Oh yes, take a screenshot of that and the email address he used to contact your employer.

The police can always get it translated if needs be. It is not really primary evidence. It is just the motivation for the subsequent behaviour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure, cuz he has totally block me up, so even there's no debate evidence, I can still report him, right?

Oh yes. The issue really is the email to your employers anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cool, many thanks


Best of luck with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo, I just contacted the city of London police but they suggested me to call AU police, and the AU police said I still need legal advice on this case
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any way that I could ask the UK police to take my case?

Yes, you can. Sorry for the delay.

He is in the UK. The crime was committed here. The UK police should be dealing with it.

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, cheers. I just used the metropolitan online system reported him. Hope this time works.