james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Could you advise on a landlord question? Thank you, England,

Customer Question

Hi. Could you advise on a landlord question? Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We gave 3 month notice on March 5. Notice period extended until Aug 3 due to covid. Aware government legislation changed yesterday meaning tenants can’t be evicted until end of Aug. Died this apply even though we have notice prior to covid? I am moving back to the UK from abroad and need the address to live in with family from Aug 3... shipment of our belongings arranged. The tenant has her own house in another part of Uk... no tenant in it.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I going to be charged for this? If so, please refund my £5 and stop
Expert:  james bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you fall under a window where you have correctly served your 3 month notice, but mow the law has changed again.

The Act will mean that, until 30th September 2020, most landlords will not be able to start possession proceedings unless they have given their tenants three-months’ notice. Landlords can choose to give more than this three months’ notice.
Although you have followed correct procedures, and you could after Augustb3rd commence recovery of property, you would have to seek an eviction order from the court. They will not deal with that until after the date now st by government.

you are in a state of limbo. You cannot force them out either, that is illegal.

hello just checking to see if I can be of further assistance with your question. I am here if needed.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.