SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I am 21 years of age my step father has been the only father

I am 21 years of age my step father has been the only father figure in my life since i can remember and have no contact with my father and would like to find away for him to legally adopt me
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: i havnt yet because all i can see on line is that it is only possible under the age of 18 and was wondering how i would go about it as an adult
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: im in Bedfordshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: but my step father is in Peterborough due to me having moved in with my girlfriends family recently to be with my girlfriend

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Do you still need assistance with this?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please

Unfortunately once a person is over 18, adoption cannot occur as that person is legally an adult. Adoption can actually occur until a person is 19 years old, but only if the adoption process was started before they turned 18.

Your relationship with your stepfather is obviously extremely important to you and him, and whilst it is not a legal relationship, he can still treat you as his child and make provision for you in his will if he wishes to, but he needs to ensure that he names you in relation to any gift in his will so that there is no confusion.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but it is how the law works in England at this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you didnt know if this would be the case

Yes, there has to be a cut off point and as 18 is the age of majority, when we consider young people to be adults, that is the age adoption is no longer feasible.