How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

I have lived with my wife for 21 years 4 of which we were

This answer was rated:

I have lived with my wife for 21 years 4 of which we were cohabiting a house that was her ex marital home after we were married I was put on the mortgage And payed 10 years of the mortgage since then the mortgage has been paid of with a big win on her part we are now separated recently am I entitled to anything From the house
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: None at all at the moment there are no young children involved as this is both our second marriages just after a bit of advice on how to proceed
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Ashford Kent
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just need some advice

Hi there,

Of course. You are named on the title which is a good start and have also contributed towards the equity which is also beneficial. If you held as joint tenants, upon your death your share of the property would automatically pass on to your ex wife so I would always advise to look into whether this is the case. If it is, you will need to sever the Joint Tenancy to ensure your 50% is held completely separate from her and is only able to pass through your estate only (ie your own will).

Also, once you have severed the tenancy, you will be able to sell the 50% of the property should you no longer want this. Further info can be found here -

I hope this helps and please do leave positive feedback. If I can assist with anything else, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

SS Legal Advisor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m not that bright with legal stuff are you saying that as her and her 1st husband Brought the house in 1990 I moved in in 1999 I paid 10 years of the mortgage that I can prove as bank records only go back 10 years that I may be entitled to 50%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Do have a few questions as in my mind this situation is quite complicated it would be easier on the phone. I am still living in the the marital home but we are living separate lives. I can’t move out as I do not have the money to do so at this time and because I am vulnerable to Covid 19 if she asks me to leave at any point can I legally stay until I am able to afford to move out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also she has said that I came with nothing so why should I get any part of the house. When I feel that I have contributed to mortgage and a percentage of the bills and contributed to the maintenance and furnishing of the house since I have lived their and everything we have done has been agreed verbally by both parties
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Call was made to me told I would be connected to an expert and not spoken or heard anything for 30 mins on the phone is there a problem

Pleasure speaking just now.

Please do keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,