How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4642
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I wanted a rough estimate for proceeding with a court order,

This answer was rated:

Hi, I wanted a rough estimate for proceeding with a court order, and possibly if I could include a case of parental alienation and a return of my property from my ex-partner
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I am in mediation proceedings at the moment, ex-partner is wanting to take it to court
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in north london
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I'm wanting to see my children 2 nights a week as per usual but I am not being allowed to

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Is the mediation helping? Or has it already failed?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't even started yet because of the lockdown scenario, however, we tried to keep the status quo which is me having them two nights a week. She's now refusing to let me see them until they're 18 and has said it'll have to go to court

Mediation can take place over the phone - so no reason for delay. I'd suggest you ask the mediator to arrange this without further delay. At least to complete the MIAM (mediation information assessment meeting) which is the requirement before you can apply to court.

Once the MIAM is done, then the mediator can sign your C100 application form to the court and you can submit it. Once submitted the court will list the matter for a first hearing and CAFCASS, social workers, wiill be in touch with you and the mother to find out what each of you thinks and will also do background checks and produce a safeguarding letter to the court to recommend what should happen next. You will be able to tell the officer about your concerns of parental alienation.

You'll both get the opportunity to put your case to the court and the court will ultimately make a decision that they believe is in the best interests of the child.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from your experience would you know how much I have to save up for this whole process or if there's legal aid for a full time employed person

There's no legal aid for private family law cases unless you meet the criteria for domestic abuse - see here for more information:

You can self-represent - and if things get difficult then instruct a solicitor or barrister. Costs can vary depending on how long the process takes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If things get difficult on the day I can let a solicitor know? Is it wise to represent

Things won't get difficult at the first hearing - nothing much ever happens at a first hearing unless people agree to a consent order. Usually a first hearing gives directions as to what the court expects everyone to do next (file statements, etc).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you specialise in family law yourself too? As I'm looking for a solicitor

We are not permitted to take cases on from the website I'm afraid. I do specialise in family law.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's a real shame
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you anyway, really helpful

It is, but I have to abide by the rules of the site.

You are most welcome. If you have future questions you can always post a new question for me, just put FORCustomerONLY in your subject.

SASH_Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will you be able to send me a transcript of this to my email address***@******.***?

I am not able to do that, sorry - but you can cut and paste it into a WORD document. Alternatively you can log into your account and see your questions and answers.