Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Booked a cruise holiday through Broadway travel paid deposit

Hi booked a cruise holiday through Broadway travel paid deposit £450 but we cancelled in May as both husband and I are vulnerable. They are saying because we cancelled and cruise was going ahead we can put deposit on file but must book by 31.12.2020. P and O have now consequently cancelled cruises until April 2021. Can we legally claim our deposit back. Thank You
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Just making first enquiry with you. there are 4 travellers my husband and I and our friends. Our Friends live in Spain and were originally before Covid 19 coming home to travel with us
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Emailed the company and they said because we cancelled in May money has to go on file
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so thank you. My husband has a suppressed immune system due to steriod use and having a Stoma and I have Type 2 diabetes. Friends in Spain unsure about getting home. This is why we decided to cancel in May

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Just to be clear, you cancelled before the tour operator did?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we did because of medical condition and our friends being in Spain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plase just use email rather than phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just email me please

A colleague has accepted the call, they will ring shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I held the line for 45 minutes to speak to someone had to do some work in the house please respond to me via email and as I didnt chat to anyone I would appreciate my Service offer being refunded.

You need to write a letter to Broadway, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jamie appreciate your advice. I wss dissapointed you have charged me for a phone call that never connected and would appreciate my cost of call returned as I received your advice via email thank you

Yes I will get that refunded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Jamie you will get a 5* for your help Kind regards