How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrew Your Own Question
Andrew, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 129
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
Andrew is online now

Problem with house, i m live in the flat on the ground

This answer was rated:

problem with house
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i m live in the flat on the ground floor , in feb 2020 the flat upstairs have problem with boiler and in the middle of the night my flat full of water all my bag and shoes had damage over 300 pount 3000 pound and floor and light also kitchen
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: how can i make cliam
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i want to know how can i cliam my personal belongine


You will first need to establish the cause of the leak and if it is clear that it was the upstairs Leaseholder's boiler was the cause of the leak, generally, that person will be responsible for pipes and other apparatus exclusively serving their flat.

(Any communal pipes or apparatus serving more than one flat will generally be the responsibility of the Landlord or management company).

If the leaseholder or occupier of the flat above has been negligent or failed to take appropriate action following the leak you may be able to pursue a claim against them for your uninsured losses. Specialist advice should be sought prior to embarking on any legal action.

Not sure if you have your own Contents insurance but if you do, you should also speak to your Insurance Company as you should be covered to claim under your policy. Your policy may also have legal cover, meanng they will cover any legal costs incurred by you in pursuing a claim against the upstairs leaseholder.

I hope this assists and sets out the general legal position. If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could leave feedback by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave this site today.

Kind Regards


Hi, can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi there i don't have any insurance at all,
what should i do ? , where can i process the claim or who can I report too, seem like they not responded to me at all last word i heard from them i have to take action with the court .

Hi, you will therefore need to take action against the upstairs Leaseholder- you will need to put together a list of your losses and then instruct a litigation Solicitor to write to the upstairs Leaseholder setting out your claim. If no agreement can be reached, you would need to issue Court proceedings to progress your claim.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi do you know any application from I can follow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in the uk , I believed by law will protect me , my English not good can anyone help me to write?

Hi, if you need to issue Court proceedings, there is a standard form you will need to complete but you are best to speak to a Solicitor first and if he writes a letter for you to the upstairs Leaseholder, you may not need to start any Court proceedings. If you can't afford a Solicitor, you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Good luck


Customer: replied 1 year ago. not sure which one i have to choose the option to see solicitor

Hi, try "Problems where you live" topic. I hope I have answered your question and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave feedback at the top of your screen, with 4 or 5 stars.

Many thanks and Good luck Andrew

Customer: replied 1 year ago. Seem like many option

Hi, I am sure you can send them an email and they will come back to you and you can also contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau- it would be best if you did that as their website merely gives you general information and advice and I have of course already explained that you need to make a claim against the upstairs Leaseholder.

Kind Regards Andrew

Andrew and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you