How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19540
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

What are the steps to take someone to small claims court? I

Customer Question

what are the steps to take someone to small claims court?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I bought a van that needed fixing from mechanic garage owner and he told me that I need to give him £7,375.00 to get it fixed. I transferred £7,375.00 to his account, exactly what he requested. he told me that he is going to give me invoice and he never did or either fix the van. I am here looking for some legal advice on how to take him to court to claim back my money
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: whenever I called him, he gives me promise of when he is going to pay but he never did
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, that's the case
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.