How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3232
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I need to speak to a lawyer about my employment contract. I

This answer was rated:

Hi. I need to speak to a lawyer about my employment contract. I have been working for 5 full months at a firm in London and plan to resign. My contract has a 1 year notice period! I don't know if they will show leniency after I resign (and may be cut to 3-6 mths) but I wish to get it checked if this 1 yr notice even stands right legally.
JA: Have you discussed the employment contract issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

What kind of job do you do and why do they require a years notice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ross

Hello, I hope you are well, what is your job and why do they require a years notice period?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I work for a quant hedge fund. They verbally once said that non compete is invalid outside the country so to impose it they want to do a 1 yr notice period and 0 mth non compete to get that achieved. Its a very one sided agreement.

Ok well firstly, I would speak with your management and see if you can come to some kind of agreement to waive the one year notice on your contract. If you can come to a mutual agreement then you can render this clause in the contract void or overridden. However, if you cannot come to an agreement then you could be in breach of contract, there could be a claim against you to cover the costs of replacing you. However, when you speak with your boss then if you want you can suggest that the contract notice period may be unfair (legally) there is case law to support that employers cannot enforce unfair contractual notice periods. However, it is entirely up to you how you wish to move forward, but I would suggest that coming to an agreement which can override your contract will be the best and easiest way forward. If you do come to an agreement then do get it in writing.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks


RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ross. I will try to speak with management but that will also mean that I am letting the cat out of the bag about my decision to resign. But I guess that just needs to be done of course. But thanks for your help. You were very prompt.

You are very welcome and thank you. If you require any further assistance on this matter in the future then please do not hesitate to ask for myself. Kind regards. R.