RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I was wondering, if an airline cancelled a flight less than

Hi there! I was wondering, if an airline cancelled a flight less than a week before the scheduled flight, are they legally obliged to refund the customer?
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: This is from Edinburgh. The purchase was made on May 2, the flight was initially scheduled for May 28.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The flights were rescheduled twice, and only yesterday they contacted customers saying the light was cancelled, so I havent taken any steps yet. I would like to ask for a refund but I'm not sure how to.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of at the moment, thank you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your time.

Hello, thanks for the query. So if you have paid for a service then you have entered into a contract with the airline, as they have cancelled the flight then they are not following through on the contract and therefore you are entitled to refund legally. Airlines are usually ok in giving refunds so all you will want to do is contact the relevant airline's customer service department and they should refund the money to the card that you used to purchases the ticket. They offer alternatives such as a voucher or credit not (they sometimes offer extra money for taking these) however, you are not legally obliged to take the credit note or voucher and can insist on the refund. I hope this has helped

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Ross

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Friends who have purchased flights from the same airline company said that the airline is not willing to give a refund, and instead will give a voucher. What should I do in that case?

You should insist on the refund as they are losing a lot of money they are trying to get people to take the vouchers, also double check the terms and conditions on your purchase but you should insist on the refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see, thank you very much.

You're welcome and I wish you all the best.