RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

Please can you advise. It seems i will be made redundant on

Hi.. please can you advise. It seems i will be made redundant on Tuesday. I am currently on furlough with the company redundancy program paused. The program started and then the company asked for consent to extend furlough (pay at 80%) I then recieved notification that my contract term of 6months will be paid at 80% until 31st Oct and then full pay to Dec when I will then leave.
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Work (manager HR) tell me they are following legal direction. This only came about yesterday and the government deadline is 10th June
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee 20years... there are 37 redundancies and the company have followed ucas rules up to now. It seems everyone the 37 have recieved the letter and will get 100% pay but as a director i dont
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think off. Just if this right or judge as discrimination as Im being treated differently? Can they do this?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

I have read your information what do you mean by the other employees are getting 100% do you mean for their notice period?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
other empolyees have a shorter notice period 2 weeks to 3 months and it seems they will recieve 100%full pay

Seems strange as under S188 of the ERA, the employer can pay the notice period at 80% so I would say that they are not treating you badly as they have the legal right to pay you at 80% but I don't understand why they would decide to pay the others at 100%. If I were you then what I would do is go back to HR and ask them to justify why other's are being paid at 100% and you are only being paid at 80%. I assume that they have told you that you are getting a redundancy payment on top of your notice pay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there will be a redundancy payment in Dec. Just feels strange and unfair to be treated like this. Wanted advice before I speak with them

It certainly does seem unfair and I agree with this. However, from a legal perspective, unless they are treating you different because of a protected characteristic i.e race, sex, gender, sexuality, religion etc. then you can't really take "legal" action. However, if you go speak to them then I would be happy to look at what they have said to you to see if there is any more too it than first meets the eye. Until I know their explanation then it is difficult to say definitely.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Ross