RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I am in process of applying for a job that requires me to

Hi, I am in process of applying for a job that requires me to answer govt Security Clearance vetting questions; there is a section in Criminal convictions including cautions and, most significantly, any pending actions. I have an upcoming court appearance for Assault by Beating after a dispute with my now ex-partner. Should I declare this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Windsor area
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: requested details of any held on PNC, but that can take up to 4 weeks and obviously I can't delay until I get a response
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: *any info held

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you for your question. The answer is yes, a "pending action" is a potential conviction which has a court date but has not been heard yet. So if you have been charged with this but have yet to appear in court then the action is pending and should be declared accordingly. If you do not declare it and the employer later finds out about it then you could potentially be dismissed for gross misconduct. I do wish I could give you better news but I hope it doesn't affect your employment and wish you the best with this moving forward.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Ross

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thnks Ross, I have a further question, if they check the PNC, what will they see, eg the details of the charge, or just the date and court to attend?

Only valid charges would show up, as you have not had a decision on this matter yet it won't. Also I don't beleive that PNC will show any court dates no. All court proceedings are public so if they search then they could find it but to be honest it would be arbitrary for an employer to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a previous court appearance where a similar case was dismissed appear in that case

Not if it was dismissed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's really helpful thanks for the quick response