Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

My dog is a 5 yr old staffordshire terrier who has attacked

my dog is a 5 yr old staffordshire bull terrier who has attacked another dog while my wife and myself were out walking her. my dog was not on the lead but the other dog was and i tried to call my dog to put her on the lead but she went for the other dog and the other dogs owner picked up her dog and my dog jumped up and injured the other dog and in the process scratched the dog owners hand while i tried to restrain my dog and eventually put her on the lead. what are the legal outcomes for me . i do have insurance for my dog
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: i live in UK by the way
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have informed my vet and they suggested re-homing, muzzle ,trying behaviour analyst or euthenasia as last choice but we have decided to put our pet down
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to know my legal position

Good afternoon.

The owner could claim in respect of the injury caused to her hand and any vets bills incurred in respect of the dog.

If the hand injury was a scratch a claim would not be worth it

It is very unlikely that any criminal charges will result. Firstly your dog has never done this before so you had no reasonable warning of what was to come. Secondly the police do not regard this type of incident as part of their remit..

If there are any further points kindly reply I will be happy to respond

Otherwise, please either click to accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my dog had gone for another dog few weeks ago when she pulled on the lead and the lead slipped out but the owner picked up his dog and there were no injuries and i was able to catch her in time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but these were the only two incidents in the last 5 years we have had her

OK , but any police involvement is still very unlikely as thankfully only light injury was suffered by the other dog owner.

Michael

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If a dog warden has been informed what can he or she do in this situation?

Dog wardens act for the local council.

They have the power to issue fines for dog fouling but beyond that link with other organisations where required. In respect of a dangerous dog the police, in the case of a dog in distress the RSPCA etc.

As such the dog warden can do nothing here.

Michael