How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2795
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

Split with my lady friend approx. 8weeks ago but she will

Customer Question

hello,split with my lady friend approx. 8weeks ago but she will not let me have my personal belongings back, value around £600,tv,clothes,books ect, the Cannock became involved but to no avail,can you please advise me for the best course ,im 71 and on a state pension so cannot afford any court action,thankyou for your time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear what has happened. She would not be permitted by the law to hold on to your items. You may find that if she continues to do so, you may have to take her to court to have a judge order for their return or the cost for their replacement. I will explain to you however the least expensive way to go about this.

firstly, you are required to write a letter to her which, should be headed, “letter before action”. In this letter, you should state that you would like to have. The things returned or the cost to replace them. You are required to give her some time to amicably resolve this, usually 14 days.

secondly, If after the 14 days she does not return the items or respond to the letter, you may take her to court for the items/or seek the amount it would cost you to replace them. You may represent your self in going so. And, any cost incurred by you in bringing the action you may ask the court to have her reimburse you. It is not necessary therefore for you to instruct a Solicitor as you may represent yourself.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best