How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5194
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Ellen, UK, called the police and my bank, I am a victim of a

This answer was rated:

Hi Ellen
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: called the police and my bank, I am a victim of a push payment fraud
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have lost all my money, 20,000 pounds

Hello I will assist you today

sorry to hear what has happened.

How can I assist today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello James

Hello how can I assist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a victim of a fraud of 20000pounds, this happened today. Random guys called me using a government number and saying that they are the HMRC and I need to pay money, otherwise they take me to jail for 5 years. I paid because I was really scared and they sent me emails signed from HMRC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have lost all my money

Sorry to hear this.

HMRC, banks, etc will not call and demand money on the phone and take payment, They always write by post.

You have been scammed.

How did you send the money.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made bank transfers during the call that's what they asked me to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was from my Revolut bank account, which means that they already received the money since transfers are immediate

You can contact your bank and. See if it can be reversed, explain it was a fraud act.

Next, you need to contact police ASAP and explain what has happened, they can then investigate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** done that as soon as the call ended, no news from the bank as it is an online bank. Is there anything else I can do ?

At this time no, contact police is the most important thing and the bank to see if payment can be reversed.

would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you