Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

No win no fee lawsuits

No win no fee lawsuits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know of any little known disadvantages of no win no fee cases. Specifically, how you end up losing money via this method, e.g. might you be liable for the other side's legal fees, due to the no win no fee structure, might the payout be too small to cover the resulting legal fee? And so on. Just all the little catches that they don't talk about and people do not know.Specifically, I am considering suing social services for a currently ongoing situation with my father, regarding his vascular dementia situation and the care package that was implemented after his return from hospital. This is therefore a medical case and I have heard that the success rate on these is extremely poor, and hence not worth bothering with?On a related matter, I am the Health LPA for my father. They clearly want to put him in a care home. I want him returned to his own home, which is where he absolutely wants to be. Can social services implement a solution I refuse to endorse? Can they disqualify me as LPA in some way in order to do what they want, and if so, how?Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can wait. It does not have to be by phone. It can be by text reply if that would make it easier to find someone. In general, is it more likely to get an answer sooner if I ask just one or two questions, closely related to the subject, rather than ask several as I have done?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Has someone agreed to take it on a no win no fee basis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I am still pondering the idea of even taking legal action, although I believe that there are strong grounds for it.It is just that No Win No Fee is presented by the firms who do it as a sort of ideal solution. Yet, there is inevitably always a catch in everything that seems too good to be true. Hence, I just wish to be properly informed as to various ways in which you can end up paying money out i.e. a net financial loss, even if you happen to win the case. Paying the other side's legal fees might be one example. The payout being too small to cover my own eventual fees might be another. I just don't want any unexpected surprises that I might have known about in advance, just by asking as I am doing now.

No win no fee, they will take a success fee out of any damages.

That is for them taking the risk.

You may also have to pay for an after the event insurance, which insures you for the costs of the other side if you lose.

If you don't give instructions or are found to be dishonest, then you will have broken the retainer and be liable for your legal costs

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is very helpful indeed. Thank you. The part about taking out insurance to cover paying legal costs of other side if useful to know.In the situation regarding social services and a medical case, I have heard that such cases have a very low success rate. Specifically, a friend of mine (whose son referenced below is a lawyer) said about such a case using No Win/No Fee:"I can't imagine that you are going to have anything but a hard time winning a case like that. When the going gets tough, records get lost. My sister in law tried it once, through this type of lawyer. It was a disaster and she had a clear case. Things got lost. Memories changed with key witnesses, especially those in more junior positions. The lawyers just said "We're stopping now".A client of mine thought of taking the NHS and Social Services to court but didn't do it as far as I know. He had loads of proof, including evidence from the cross examination of senior NHS/Social Services staff in a coroner's court. I don't know the final details of my sister in law's case, other than it wasn't successful. I didn't bother to ask as I had advised her that the chances of winning were very slim and explained why. Nick did medical negligence cases at law school and he thought the chances of winning were always poor."Would you concur with that general opinion i.e. it is very hard to win and basically not worth it, even if you do have plenty of proof and "an open and shut case"? Also, do No Win/No Fee lawyers give up as he describes, when they feel it is not worth their time?

That would be ATE, A Solicitor will request you take this out.

Because if you lose then someone has to pay the costs of the other side.

Medical negligence cases are good if you have the evidence.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very much. Thank you.It is actually Social Services that I considering legal action against; related to the care package put together for my father following his release from hospital, the misrepresentation of my father in the social worker report to the team (opposite is actually true!), and other critical errors, the result of which is that my father is right back in hospital again.So, it is more a social services legal case than a medical one. So, is the history of successful legal cases against social services generally poor or good or neither (No Win/No Fee or otherwise) i.e. it is very hard to win and basically not worth it?

It is legal, yes.

Again, it can be good case if there is evidence.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does. Thank you. We are done with this question. Thank you for your answers.