How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 80396
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been assaulted on the 19th may and i reported the

Customer Question

hi there i have been assaulted on the 19th may and i reported the incident to the police ... after three weeks police has called me and said that the CCTV Is Been Deleted ... at the same time i have told them before the shop owner know this guy and they will delete it /// so the point is that the police has treated negligence with my case and the shop owner has deleted the evidence ... so what is the right thing o do.
JA: Have assault charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: the police closed my case
JA: Where did the assault occur?
Customer: 19th May
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (47M21MQ)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean that the police have formally taken no further action or that nobody was arrested.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah because the attacker they runaway before the police come to the shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the police didn't take any action when i told them the owner of the shop are friend with the guy who attacked me and he will delete the CCTV...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they call me today after more than 2 weeks and they have said that the CCTV video is gone so who is the responsible about it the police or the owner, and can we do something about it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i prefer to stay here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I’m so sorry for the delay.

I lost myConnection.

You can complain to a more senior officer. If they have literally done nothing then you should do so.

In terms of the CCTV, I’m not quite clear if you are saying that it has been deleted To cover up the offence. If so there are offences in that and the police were negligent in failing to seize it.

Obviously that is an IPCC matter though.

In and of its self, that does not stop a prosecution though. It just means that they have lost some evidence but they could still rely on your allegation and any injuries that you have.

If they have arrested somebody and taken the decision not to charge him then you do have a right of view of that decision called the victims rights of review.

I’m sorry that this happened to you.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope you are well now
yes it has been deleted To cover up the offence, because they are friend with the owner of the shop, the other point is the owner know there’s someone is been attacked in his shop on 19th may so why he didn’t kept the video somewhere safe ? why he had a technical issue at The time when me and police came to ask for CCTV several times ?
at the same time I have called the police told them many times they will delete the CCTV and they did not take serious action , so my question is who is the responsible for deleting the evidence or not take an action to take 2 mints video from the CCTV ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or wiche one that i can take leagl action with the onwr or the police
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You could argue failing to act swiftly is police negligence although obviously the primary culprit is the shop owner who has just plain destroyed evidence.

There are offences in destroying evidence so he might well be charged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I would like to start to take this legal action agents the shop owner and police how much would it cost for the solicitor
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You don't have a claim in civil law but you do have the option to bring a private prosecution. It is very expensive to do that though.

You should really pester the police to see what action they would take first though. They are the appropriate evidence gathers of the CPS.