james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Will a solicitor ever send out a warning letter without

Hi, will a solicitor ever send out a warning letter without stating their name on there and only having a signature? Along with spelling and grammar mistakes in the letter?
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: just a warning letter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that’s all for now

Hello I will assist.

is the letter on headed stationary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Yes the letter is headed, however it has several mistakes which isn’t the norm from a legitimate company. Along with the signature being there but no actual print name of who the solicitor is that is writing the letter. The language used is also out of the ordinary as it comes across as a threat / scare tactic more than anything, very odd

It could just be a badly written letter not checked for errors sent out from the office.

Normally, yes the letter would clearly show who the sender is.

Best bet is contact the office and see who sent it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do. The letter is telling me to respond in the next 14 days, do I have to respond if the father does not have PR? My son has a health condition which means we have to self isolate and not get in contact with anyone that is not in our household as it can be detrimental to my child’s life and his dad is arguing with me because I won’t allow him to see him. Despite the fact I have clearly stated my reason for doing so now and have not stopped him from seeing him prior to this. My only concern is the welfare of my child but he wants to push me and have this solicitor letter sent. Wouldn’t the solicitor tell him he has to first acquire PR before he can even request a child arrangement with additionals?

If you are separated, under covid19 the case has always been children can travel between parents. But safety first.

Vheck who letter is from first then reply to their office.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we’re separated but he’s never been with my son unsupervised since birth and my son has no attachment to him and would be extremely distressed being away from all he knows. In normal circumstances I understand children can travel between parents but my son is 2, can’t talk, still breastfed, has never spent any time alone with him and has a health condition which means he’s extremely vulnerable and being told specifically to stay away from anyone that lives outside the household. Do I have an obligation to reply within 14 days if he has no PR in place?

It is always advised to reply, if he takes a case to court he would argue the your fail to reply to solicitors letters.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. Are solicitors letters not done by recorded delivery? How can there be a guarantee the letter was received without signed recorded delivery seen as letters get lost in the mail everyday?

No letters do not need to be sent recorded, in law, letters are deemed sent and received

Deemed service is the date calculated in accordance with Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) part 6.14 that is used by the Court as the delivery of a court form or document.

First class post - The second business day after it was posted, left with, delivered to or collected by the relevant service provider provided that day is a business day; or if not, the next business day after that:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what happens in the case I actually didn’t receive a letter that was sent unrecorded?

It would be deemed delivered unless you prove otherwise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is it possible to prove a letter wasn’t received? & also, am I obligated by law to set up an arrangement if he has no parental responsibility and is not on the birth certificate? When I reply am I obligated to do anything that is not court ordered?

The letter issue is a fact of law, can’t do anything about that.

As for arrangements, that is way out side of the question you asked about the sending of a letter, a complete different area of law. You would need to accept this answer then ask a new question. Family lawyer can then help you. But as it stands, if you object to contact,mit would be a matter for the family court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so the recommendation is to reply. What happens if my letter is a day or two late past the 2 week deadline when received?

With covid19 everything can be slow, so would not worry about that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for all your help. Would you recommend I consult a solicitor to know what / how to respond appropriately?

As it is family related, then yes. You should find you could get legal Aid for it. Contact a local family law firm offering legal aid.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.