How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask leylashahin Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 331
Type Your Law Question Here...
leylashahin is online now

Just need to begin that I’m not well with my mental health.

Customer Question

Hi just need to begin that I’m not well with my mental health. And my neighbours today have been awful and I’m on the edge and can’t cope with much more.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve reported the abuse I received today to police. It’s was awful abusive message because they said we got dust on their car from doing our drive
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it’s been ongoing for a while - started Ofer a fence dispute. Then they went quiet. I just don’t know what to do anymore
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel harassed by them and I’m home on my own during the day please I need some help
Expert:  leylashahin replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Please note the following:Keep a diary and take notesIt's always a good idea to make notes and keep a diary of when noise or an incident occurs, and how long it lasts.It helps you keep track of what's been happening and when, and provides good evidence for any complaint you make about your neighbour.It will also help others to understand the issue and the impact it has on you.Try talking to your neighbourIt can be difficult to pluck up the courage to talk directly to a neighbour about a problem of their making.But sometimes people are unaware that they are causing a problem, especially when it comes to noise.If you're able to talk directly to your neighbour, you may find that the problem can be sorted out quite quickly.However uncomfortable you might feel about raising the issue, you'll probably feel a lot worse if you have to continue living with the problem.If you're genuinely frightened of talking to your neighbour, due to anti-social behaviour for example, you should contact your local authority's anti-social behaviour team or your local police.Complain to your local authorityRegardless of whether you rent or own your property, local authorities have a duty to investigate excessive noise, anti-social behaviour and rubbish dumping that affect local communities.They have powers to take action against people if their behaviour is unacceptable.If relations with your neighbour have broken down, or if you don’t feel able to, or are afraid to speak to your neighbour, you should contact your local authority to report the nuisance.Local authorities have dedicated teams assigned to deal with noise control, anti-social behaviour and rubbish management.For example, if your problem relates to excessive noise, your local authority's noise team can come and record the noise as it happens. This provides vital evidence for the local authority to take action.Formal complaint about your councilIf you're unhappy with the way your local authority deals with your issue, you should make a formal complaint through the council's formal complaints process.It's important to keep a note of each time you contact the council telling it about your neighbour's behaviour.Local authorities often have more than one stage in their complaints procedure and this process may take several weeks.Find contact details for your local authority.Complain to the ombudsmanIf you're unhappy with the way your local authority has dealt with your issue and you have exhausted its internal complaints process, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.You should give your local authority 12 weeks to deal with your formal complaint, after which you can refer it to the ombudsman.You should normally make a formal complaint against your local authority within 12 months of realising it has done something wrong, or hasn't dealt with your issue adequately.When making a complaint about your local authority to the ombudsman, here are some things the ombudsman will look for before investigating your complaint:your local authority didn’t send anyone to visit you to find out about the problems
your local authority asked you to fill in diary sheets but then did nothing with them
your local authority gave you an out-of-hours emergency number but nobody came out to witness the nuisance
your local authority accepted that your neighbours were causing problems but didn't do anything to stop them
your local authority didn't assess the level of the noise when you complained
Mediation serviceIf you are seeking compensation from a neighbour, for example due to damage to your property as a result of building work a neighbour is doing, and are unable to resolve the issue amicably, you should consider Civil Mediation.The Civil Mediation Council, part of the Ministry of Justice, provides a list of local, professional and experienced mediators. There is a fee attached to this process. Depending on how much you are seeking to claim, fees range from £50 - £425 + VAT.It's worth remembering that although the fees may seem steep, they are likely to be considerably cheaper than hiring a solicitor.Going to courtAs a last resort, you might want to consider legal action against a nuisance neighbour.Bear in mind that taking someone to court is expensive, so this option should only be considered if you have exhausted all other routes. There are likely to be court and solicitor fees.For more information on making a court claim, visit the GOV.UK website.I hope that helps. Please leave me 5 stars so I can receive payment.
Expert:  leylashahin replied 1 year ago.
Hello please can you accept my answer by clicking ?