How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1594
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I need some help and advice please, my partner was arrested

Customer Question

Good morning, I need some help and advice please, my partner was arrested last monday because we had a domestic incident, I was drunk and he was not, I can remember much, our two year old son was placed in police protection for 72 hours, he was taken because I was still intoxicated. Social services arrived and took the baby and placed him in temporary foster placement. I have never done this before being drunk in front of my child, I was working as a senior night care assistant and recently witnessed alot of deaths in my care home from covid, the care home shutdown 3 weeks ago. My partner was arrested and I have not seen him since, but I think he is on bail, I really need him to come home as I need his support in getting our child back. I did exaggerate whilst being drunk to police that he is abusive towards me, this is not true. How can I put this right. Please help me.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Hi there are no papers apart from a section 20 my partner signed, I am not a alcoholic, and have had a responsible job, but social services won't give my baby back. I never been involved in this type of situation. My while life turned upside down within a couple of hours because I was drunk.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Brentwood essex. My child has always been with us both parents until last Monday. I just want my baby back home.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not at the moment
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 2 months ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear. Can I confirm what did you tell the police?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I called the police that morning because he was shouting at me, I told them he hit me, this is untrue, I did fall over because of being intoxicated. I cant remember much of what I said. How can I put this right, I need him to come home to help me get our child back. We both are seeing our child in a family contact centre separately, I saw my baby on Thursday and due to see him tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cannot do this by phone, can you advise me on message please
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 1 month ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Domestic abuse is a serious offence and is taken seriously by the police when such allegations are made. This because many women who experience domestic abuse are afraid to tell the truth or retract their statements in fear for their partners. That said lying to the police is also serious. I would strongly advise that you find a family law solicitor in your area to represent and to help bring your case before the police. Even if you tell the police that you were drunk and it did not happen they can still decide to investigate further to ensure that you are safe. I can understand you are worried and want your child back. Thus, I would strongly advise you get a solicitor to represent you. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: you will be able to search by area and expertise.
1)You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here:
You might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending a LawWorks Clinic. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:
You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau ( For more information please visit: or Personal Support Unit for advice about a legal problem (For more information please visit:
I hope this helps- if you can please accept my answer (there will be a box to do so) and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen. Just Answer will then credit me for answering your question today.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.