How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2897
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

Fallen out with someone,they have sent messages on facebook

This answer was rated:

Good morning,fallen out with someone,they have sent nasty messages on facebook also phoned me.I requested several times that they do not contact me ever again but they have just sent three text messages.He has also threatened me plus he is mentally ill,suffers Bipolar Disorder .What can I do to stop him contacting me again.Is harrasment a Police or a civil matter?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Luton UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Sent a polite requesting no further contact by any means and wished him health and happines for the future.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have been threatened he stated "will destroy you by pen not the sword" also said I was an alcoholic,which I am not nor have ever been.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note harassment is both a criminal and civil matter.

I suggest you contact the police ASAP regarding the ongoing issue this is because Section 1 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 states harassment can be unwanted conduct designed to cause the victim alarm or distress.

If the police are unable to assist at the moment I suggest you instruct a solicitor to apply to the local county court for a civil injunction. This is a court remedy that orders the man to stop such conduct and failing to do so can amount to a criminal offence.

However, before you do this, send the person a cease and desist letter to warn him of your intentions unless he stops.

Please give the person 14 days to stop the conduct.

You can obtain a “cease and desist” letter template from That said you can a draft letter by your self too but ensure you make it known it is a cease and desist letter and he stops the conduct(ensure you spell out the conduct too) in question. Further it will be wise to remind him that his conducts falls within the definition given within Section 1 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 which is as unwanted conduct designed to cause the victim alarm or distress”.

Hopefully the police action and the letter may well be enough to stop the conduct as an injunction is a serious legal remedy.

Assuming the letter does not work then I suggest you instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf with a view to commence court proceedings against the person in question.

You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

Do you understand what I have stated if not please let me know

Further please ignore the automated call request unless you wish to talk

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Please note rating does not come at any extra costs.


Anthony Chendo and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Mr Chendo,your guidance is most helpfull.Will start now by sending him a polite email,thanks for your help most appreciated.

Your welcome

Thanks the rating have a good day.