How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4659
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I have a deposit being held from previous house and still

This answer was rated:

I have a deposit being held from previous house and still not had back. I left the property on the 30 April and still not had returned. Is there a legal length of time they can hold on to it? What can I do to chase this?

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Is this in the UK? Is it a deposit for a rental property? If yes, was the deposit for a self contained flat or a room in a house shared with the landlord?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In uk. Yes deposit for rental property held in a scheme. Yes was for a self contained 5 bed house

If the deposit is protected in one of the government schemes, it should have been returned to you within 10 days of the tenancy ending.

You need to contact the deposit holder and inform them that the landlord has not returned your deposit, nor notified you of any excuse for retaining it. They will resolve the matter for you - that is their role.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I find out where my money being held?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had nothing from the landlord
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or agent

You would have been provided with that information when you first rented - the deposit has to be protected within 30 days and you have to be given a copy of the documentation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I can’t seem to find it. Is there a way of tracking it??

Yes, you can find the schemes here:

Kindly take a moment to rate positively - thank you!

SASH_Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I found paperwork. So as they have not returned deposit can I just contact them and request the payment back now? Does the landlord have any power to stop this bearing in mind they not been in contact to return the money

Yes, they will contact the landlord to see what the issue is or if there is a dispute, but they will release any funds that they don't feel necessary to hold onto in order to resolve any dispute the landlord might have about repairs etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay that’s great. Thank you

You're welcome. All the best.