How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aaron D Your Own Question
Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 572
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aaron D is online now

I'm owed money from someone I was buying a puppy from, the

This answer was rated:

I'm owed money from someone I was buying a puppy from, the puppy isn't very well so she decided to keep him, I wasn't given a choice. She said she'd pay back my money from the deposit and the extra I gave to help out with puppy food, this came off the price of the puppy. I gave her £450. She said she'd be able to give it to me when she got home. I waited for the money for a few days and nothing, I sent her messages and tried calling her but she never replied. She then sent me a text saying she could only afford to give me £100 a week, I said fine and that I wanted the money andshe said when she gets home so I waited for 2 days. Then she sent a message saying she could only afford to give me £50 a week out her universal credit. Ireplied with I'll be up in the morning with £200 tocome and get the puppy. I then received a very angry phone call where she threatened me (I spoke to the police about that) a outlet more messes were sent between us and she said on Monday morning that she'd put £50 into my account every Friday morning until £450 is paid off. That was the last I heard from her and she didnt pay me anything on Friday. I told her I'd wait until Sunday and then ill be contacting citizens advice.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry, I'm aware of how long winded that was
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I'm in Devon, she's in Sheffield
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is the first step

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

You will get an automated message offering to speak with me by telephone, I have no control over this. Please only click if you wish to pay for a phone call. Whilst I’m happy to speak on the phone, I’m also happy to continue to assist by e-mail.

If you think that negotiating with this person further is fruitless then you might have to consider making an application to the Small Claims track of the County Court.

Technically, before you do so you should write a letter before action giving 14 days to pay. If you wish you can still accept the weekly payments and give them 14 days to make the first payment. Or, if they have already defaulted on the agreed payment plan then you can just demand the full sum. You can see how to set out a letter before action here:

Next, if she doesn't reply adequately or does not pay up then you can issue the small claim online:

You will have to pay a small fee to issue but you can also claim this back.

Ultimately if you get a judgment against this person you can then apply to have the bailiffs try and recover money from her. Or, you could apply for an order that money is taken from her benefits each month and paid to you.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.

Aaron D and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, I've just finished writing my letter. I'll send it recorded delivery in the morning.