How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2919
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

I need to find an answer on how my fiance can travel to the

This answer was rated:

I need to find an answer on how my fiance can travel to the UK so we can get married.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in the UK, my fiance has applied from the US, however we are unable to get a biometrics appointment due to covid-19 suspending all centres in US.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there any way she can travel to the UK and apply for a visa whilst she's here? Seeing as all applications centres in America are closed until "further notice" and priority services are not eligible abroad at this time,there doesn't seem any way for her to get a fiance visa from abroad.

Hi How can I help?

I will read your question and respond

When was the application made?

Have fingerprints been captured from oversea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, all application centres are closed due to covid-19 so we are unable to get biometrics taken from America at this time

I see if he does come to the UK, from 2mrw 8 June he would be subject to a 14 days quarantine period

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The application was made on the 30th of May. Which was supposed to allow us to make a biometrics appointment however was unable to do so they have not even processed the application yet

However he does have the option to apply from inside the UK, as opposed from overseas - the Home Office would consider his application. It is important to note that the appointments centres are also closed - they are trying to remotely work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The quarantine period doesn't affect us. Getting her into the country does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can we get her into the country to apply from within the country?

The quarantine period kicks in 2mrw and will be subject to 14 days - after this period she can then apply inside the Uk

You can either wait for things go better or let her come to the UK, then seek to apply after 14 days from inside the UK

Although the application can be made online - the centres are by no means open like before and appointments are not being given

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But she is in America at the moment. Is she able to fly to the UK as a tourist and then apply from within the UK when she's here? And will the fact that she has already paid for the visa affect that?

She can fly to the UK - if she is a US National she does not need a visa to come to the UK. However she will face the 14 days self isolating period regardless

From Monday, June 8, travellers arriving in England will be required to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival, as part of measures in place to reduce the spread of coronavirus.

Those who ignore the new laws risk being fined, prosecuted and even deported if they do not comply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you free to talk over the phone?

She would need to seek a refund of the fees she has already paid - this is where the issue is - if you like double jeopardy as the Home Office are also not offering appointments and the marriage registry are closed

You would need to click on the phone prompt for me to take a call - yes I am happy to talk

Are you there?

Lawyer21 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just writing down a few questions


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have accepted the call however nothing is happening

Can you provide your number for me to call

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Call completed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spoken to another lawyer who has said that my fiance is not able to apply from within the UK as she doesn't live in the uk

She is a US national so after 14 days she will be allowed to stay in the UK. A decision would need to be made whether you wish to wait or withdraw the pending application.

As mentioned before she can then use this period to give notice to get married once the marriage registry is open and when the Home Office centres are open. If the position remains unchanged in the US, then she can submit her application inside the UK - you would of course need to show which includes the notice period that she has resided inside the UK, which is one of the requirements to give notice. I will send you a link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But she needs a fiance visa to get married in the UK and as she is not a resident of the UK the government website says she has to apply for a fiance visa outside of the UK

Yes this is absolutely correct in all normal circumstances. However, the Home Office are taking in applications from inside the UK, where they are not able to apply from overseas and/or are already in the UK and can then apply from inside from the UK instead.

This policy has been extended until 31 July 2020, but she must first be in the UK.

I will send you a link in respect of this.

The idea situation would be to wait until a decision is made on her visa.