How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14261
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My son and girlfriend have arrived this weekend to a house

This answer was rated:

Good morning son and girlfriend have arrived this weekend to a house they have rented from an agent in Stortford is. In very poor state Inside and the photos they saw on the website they looked at shows a very different picture all nice and good repair ..they signed there contract in France
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this? What country does she live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: My son and girlfriend agreed to the property and signed for it online whilst in France so they trusted to photos and had not seen the property but trusted the agent in a true discription
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: They have contacted the agent Eurolet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: And they said .you signed the contract so it your problem so to speak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have contacted the agent and they have said they will look at maybe reducing their monthly rent of £1000 a month so my son and girlfriend can do all the repairs them self ..they will I assume speak to the landlord first .but they have not yet agreed to put the repairs right themselves
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your impending help .Elaine

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

It isn't their problem if the agent has misled them by not advertising the property accurately. This is known as misrepresentation and your Son could terminate the contract based on this.

Have they pay a holding deposit or the security deposit at this stage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fat they have paid 2 months rent up front of 2 thousand pounds and the holding deposit .. they are worried if they cancel contract they will lose all that money thank you elaine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you let us know if they cancel contract will they lose their 2 months rent deposit and holding fee total of around I think £3000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jim ..could you let us know if my son will lose his deposit of around 3 thousands pounds if he cancels the contract .. will they have to forfit the holding deposit but get the 2 thousand up front rent back ..elaine

Normally they will lose it if they simply cancel and there is no fault on the agent's part - but this is not the case. A letter of claim can be sent to the agency to cite misrepresentation (see attached template as an example). If they refuse to reimburse, report them to the local council's housing department (the council gives a landlord a licence to rent on the proviso the property is in a good state of repair, in a habitable condition and accurately described, and start a claim for the money back at

I hope this helps? If you can reply “yes”, or when you have the chance would you mind giving me a positive rating for the answer (the site will then credit me for my time). There should be a rating system at the top of the screen. Any other queries please let me know.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you we do not need to call you we just want the last question answered about the up front rent paid please

Thanks, ***** ***** continue online - I posted an answer with a template letter, wondering if you can see it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you answer the question weather they will get the 2 months rent back if they cancel the contract
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help

Hi, the agency may not do this voluntarily so they would need to sue the agency for their rent back under misrepresentation. They have a good case though in my view.

JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you