ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

Our adult (foster) daughter has a (adult) son who lives with

Customer Question

Our adult (foster) daughter has a (adult) son who lives with her in a two bedroom housing association property. For a long time the relationship has been dysfunctional, and even abusive. She has now reached the point where she can no longer cope and wants to evict him. Would there be any legal consequences for her.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Our daughter lives in Greenwich, South London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, other than talking through the problems that are likely to arise.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this stage. But what are the charges for this service?
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 months ago.

How old is he and is he on the tenancy?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is about thirty years old, and is not on the tenancy.

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. An adult child is resident in the family home on a licence. There is no legality attached to it. It is solely a permission from the owner/tenant (ie your foster daughter) and when permission is stopped, the adult child becomes a trespasser. She can thus give him notice - in wiring - this can be a text - advising to move out within a reasonable time - maybe a week and then she can simply change the locks. If he refuses to leave then she can now apply to the Court for an injunction preventing the trespass being repeated. Breach of the Injuction is contempt of Court, and renders the adult child liable to a fine or a prison sentence.

If the adult child is permanently “at home” then the parents are entitled to ask the police to help them in getting the injunction enforced by forcibly removing the trespasser from their home.

They can also cut off utilities to the room and Place locks on the bathroom and kitchen doors to prevent the adult child using these services. I hope this helps and please rate 5 stars

Justanswer works on a rating system and so that I can close this question can you please rate. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. But this lets me close the case and not need to email you again. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you! Many thanks​

So that I can close this question, could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works.

Can I close this now? Yes or No is fine. Thanks