How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5137
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I’ve got court coming up and I need a volunteer lawyer where

This answer was rated:

I’ve got court coming up and I need a volunteer lawyer where can I apply for one
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cardiff but my i am attending court in Bristol
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Hello, I may assist .

When and which court are you to attend, county court, magistrates or crown? And in relation to what.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m to attend magistrates in relation to possessing a class b

Hello thanks for the information.

When you arrival at Bristol Magistrates court, you will go through security.

Once passed them, you will see in the left side of the main area a reception. If you go to them you can ask to put a call out for the court duty solicitor. With the offence you face, you can use the court duty solicitor for free under legal aid rules. If the case continues for any reason, then they would also apply for legal aid for you to cover any future hearing in the matter.

Let me know if I can assist further, here to help you.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I have time to speak to the solicitor before the hearing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also will i personally have to speak to the judge myself or can I have the solicitor do it without me saying a word

Absolutely, you case would not be called on in court until, you have had the opportunity to take full advice on your matter.

is this your first time in court for anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah this is my first court hearing

I can run thorough everything what will happen if you would like me to.

The class B, was that cannabis? How much in weight.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be good , it was ketamine a very small amount. they said it didn’t come up on the scales

Ok I will type here what happens with the whole process, it will take a few minutes to type it all for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When your case is called on, you will go into the court and go behind the security screen. This is the dock area.

The court clerk will then ask you to confirm your name etc.
Next, the court clerk will read out the charge that you face.
You will then enter a plea of either guilty or not guilty.

If you plead guilty, the prosecution will give a quick summary of the what happened.

The court would then hear from your solicitor.

The court would the. Whether they can sentence you.

Possession class B is an either way offence, which means it can be dealt with in the Magistrates court or the crown court.
For such a small amount the court would say they will keep,the case and the sentence you.

For class B, if the amount is so small, and if this is your first time in trouble, on a guilty please, the starting point for the offence is a fine, then the court can either increase the sentence to a higher fine or community service or reduce it to a conditional discharge .

Your previous good character, guilty plea and such a small amount would no doubt keep the sentence either at the starting point of a fine or reduce it to a conditional discharge. That would then be the end of the matter.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sound did think it’d be like that