How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2787
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

Housing/neighbour disputes, Not that I know of They have

This answer was rated:

Housing/neighbour disputes
JA: What steps has the neighbor taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not that I know of They have been playing loud music for about a year and our landlord will not take any action to stop this Its caused mental health problems and weve had to stay with family numerous times
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. If your neighbour continues to play loud music it may be considered as a nuisance. For the noise to count as a statutory nuisance it must do one of the following:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises
  • injure health or be likely to injure health

It seems to me that you would meet both of the above conditions. In these circumstance therefore, you would report it to the council. The council would then serve a noise abatement notice. This requires whoever is responsible to stop or restrict the noise.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
during our time here I have all noise complaints documented and I've also had to be prescribed beta blockers to help prevent anxiety attacks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The council have ignored me reaching out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would we be able to claim compensation on past rent due to the poor living conditions affecting mental health?

Who are you renting from? Is this a private landlord or the council?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He owns both properties

You would then be able to claim against the landlord personally if your physical or mental health is affected by the nuisance.The amount you would be awarded would depend largely on how you were affected and for how long.

You can also claim for:

  • loss of earnings if you were unable to work
  • extra expenses such as prescriptions or travel to hospital

In order to substantiate your claim you should ensure you have your sick notes or hospital reports that show how your health has been affected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would loss of earnings due to travelling to stay with family count?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expenses sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a timeline of events. How would we get a rough amount of how much we would be able to claim (depending if we won) without time off work and expenses based on this timeline

I am unable to do an assessment here, as there are other factors that are taken into account in determining what you would be entitled to claim. You would have to make the claim in the small claims court. Any cost incurred by bringing the claim, you could ask to be reimbursed.

ReadyLaw and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you