How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5163
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

L have overhanging branches on my property and near my

This answer was rated:

Good evening, l have overhanging branches on my property and near my guttering, if l get someone to cut them to my boundary can l get them to pay the tree surgeon and throw branches on there property?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: epsom surrey, the tree is 2 to 3 metre from my windows aswell
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: l have asked for it to be cut down as you can’t keep trimming it every year. As the property is a block of flats
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just what is the law on it really

Hello I will assist today.

Trees overhanging are a constant nuisance.

The correct order of things would first be to ask neighbour if they will cut them back.

If they refuse, then you are legally entitled to do yourself or via a tree surgeon. The cutting/ trimming can only be back to the actual boundary, any further and you can be held liable for criminal damage.

Once branches have been cut. They are, silly as it may sound still property of the tree owner, and you must ask if they want them back. If they say no, then it is your responsibility to dispose of them.

It is illegal to just throw then back over their hedge.

james bruce and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you