james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

If your neighbour puts up cameras on her property, they must

If your neighbour puts up cameras on her property, they must only look on there property,is it against the law to overlook our property aswell?

Hello I will assist you of this matter today.

The answer is not as simple as a yes or no, I will explain more.

If the camera is set up to only capture their own property then no issues are incurred.

However, if the camera records a neighbour, or other public area such as pavement, road, park etc, then there are other issues to be considered.

The owner, is legally required to register as a Data Controller with the Information commissioners office. The owner of the camera will need to keep records and information of what they capture with the camera. Those records must be made available to anyone who makes a formal request to know what may be contained about them.

The camera itself would not be illegal or it’s filming and is not considered harassment, as a property owner has a right to protect their property.

However, if the camera is installed for more sinister reasons, such as spying on people, watching children Playing, or voyeurism then it could become illegal.