How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3249
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My Ex-Girlfriend currently lives with me and I am trying to

This answer was rated:

My Ex-Girlfriend currently lives with me and I am trying to get her to move out. She doesn't pay rent and it has now been 7 months since I asked her to leave and she refuses to even talk about the subject. I am just wondering from Legal standpoint if there is anything I can do as I feel 7 months is more than enough time to give someone to find alternative accommodation (obviously her moving out was out of the question during the lockdown period)
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I haven't taken any formal legal steps at this point. She is here on a Visa and has said if I did so it could effect her visa status so I have been reluctant to and I don't want to cause it to be revoked (I don't know if that would be an outcome of taking legal steps or not)
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in the Uk
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is it for now

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

Are you renting the property and if so, is your partner's name on the lease?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is co-owner by my mother and Sister who I am renting off, so no she is not on the lease

Ok so if she is not on the lease then you should send her official notice that she has a set period this is usually 30 days and I would advise the same. You will want to explain that if she does not leave in the 30 day period then you can ask the police to escort her from the premises. They may be reluctant to get involved but she doesn't need to know that, especially if she is receiving mail at the house and uses it as her main residence. If this still doesn't work, then you can instruct a solicitor to make an application to the court for her to be removed. You can also claim for costs for doing this. If she then doesn't move after the court order then the police can enforce this as it is a legal order.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks


RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ross, Thank you for the response and the link it is very much appreciated. Happy to give five stars

Many thanks and all the best. Stay safe.