How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8820
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I’m romanian living in the UK and I want to change my last

This answer was rated:

I’m roman***** *****ving in the UK and I want to change my last name as it’s hard to pronounce.
I know that is possible through deed poll in the UK but I want to know if I can change or the romanian government accept it or what is the guidline from them

Hi thank you for your message, you can use a deed poll to update your documents and records in the U.K., such as your driving licence and your tax records, but to update your documents in your country of origin, you’ll have to follow your own country's procedure.

Thus before applying for a deed poll, you should check with your Embassy or High Commission in the U.K. to see:

if your country of origin will accept your change of name
if they’ll issue you a new passport (or amend your existing passport) to show your new name
what the procedure is for changing your name in your country of origin, and — if they’ll accept a change of name by deed poll — whether there are any special requirements for a deed poll to be acceptable, for example, that your deed poll needs to be witnessed by a solicitor, or needs to be legalised.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you