james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My company has asked me back of furlough before furlough is

my company has asked me back of furlough before furlough is was working night shift they are now asking me to do day shift as their is no shifts only days and they are only paying me day shift rate do i have to go back to work
JA: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no they just asked me back on days and said it would be day shift rate as they arent doing shift work due to less production
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee no union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no not at minite i just dont want to lose my job

Hello, I will assist today.

when returning to work, if you find the employer has or is making a significant change to your job, then they must discuss this with you. If it means a drop in wages you have to agree. If they just go ahead and make the changes without your consent and you left you could have a case for wrongful dismissal.

However, if they discuss it with you, and inform Which it appears they have done, that there will be no night shift, and you do not accept new role, then the employer could look to make you redundant, because your night position is no more.