Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

I am supposed to be going on holiday at the end of July

I am supposed to be going on holiday at the end of July however I can no longer afford the holiday as I’m no longer working due to covid 19 I’ve tried to cancel my holiday but they are charging me the full cost of the holiday (£1,102,95) to cancel the holiday I can’t even afford to get my passport renewed and I need some advice as I wouldn’t even feel safe going on holiday after covid 19 :/
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m in Bristol Bs407by
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: so I’ve tried to call the place I booked the holiday with and they wouldn’t answer the phone I’ve emailed them to cancel and they are charging me a huge amount to cancel so I tried to block them from taking money out of my bank but my ba jk said they are unable to do so
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don’t think so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have told me they are still keeping in touch with the hotels and airline and will let me know if it is cancelled but I’m worried that if it isn’t cancel they are still going to make me pay for the holiday. I’m only on apprenticeship wage and now been made furlough with has really made a decrease on my wages and I just really can’t afford to go on the holiday plus I still think it would be really unsafe to go :/

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

You will get an automated message offering to speak with me by telephone, I have no control over this. Please only click if you wish to pay for a phone call. Otherwise I will continue to assist by e-mail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can we continue via email for now

Unfortunately the fact that you can't afford the holiday doesn't entitle you to cancel it. When you sign up for a holiday you agree the terms and conditions including the cancellation charges.

If the lockdown restrictions are still in place in July such that the Government advises against foreign travel then the company will be obliged to refund you any money you have paid.

If they don't cancel it and you are able legally to travel abroad then you'd have to either take the holiday or lose the money you have paid so far.

Here are some things you could try:

- Check the terms of your travel insurance if you have it

- See if the travel company would be willing to allow you to transfer the name on the booking if a friend or family wanted to buy the holiday from you

- See if they will re-arrange the holiday for later in the year/ next year

The last two would be at the holiday company's discretion. They are entitled to charge transfer fees/ admin fees etc but it might be better than losing the whole lot.

Sorry if that wansn't the answer you wanted but it is the reality I'm afraid. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for your help